Thursday, June 5, 2008

Just a flesh wound

Since the Frederick half- marathon I have been having issues with my knee, as in it freaking hurts! I can’t run or walk and going down stairs is ridiculously painful. I have seriously contemplated scooting down the stairs on my butt. (For anyone not familiar with my house, every single room is on a different level, yeah stairs!) After a month of taking it easy I finally made an appointment with an orthopedic doctor. The diagnosis is plica, not pica, though some dirt does sound appetizing, or maybe kitty litter. Anyway, plica is the inflammation of the membrane between the knee and the femur. Turns out this membrane is a remnant of fetal tissue and is not necessary, so I can easily have it removed arthroscopically if I should choose. For now I am wearing a knee brace, taking large doses of ibuprofen, and starting physical therapy tonight. If this course of action does not work, I can have the surgery, but I would prefer to do that after the marathon. The good news is I am allowed to run, the bad news, it is going to hurt. I’ll let you know how bad Saturday after my run.

Funny thing about taking large does of ibuprofen, the one side effect is headaches and I have one. How is it that a drug that cures headaches also causes them???? And the heartburn is pretty awesome too!

No comments: