Friday, May 29, 2009

La cucaracha, la cucaracha

The start of Loaf family Eurotrip was inauspicious. We arrived at the airport at 12:30 and it took 40 plus minutes to check our luggage. We then cruised (relatively speaking) through security and headed to our gate. We arrived at the gate with an hour to spare and settled in to await boarding. Well 2:30 rolls around and though our flight is scheduled to leave in 7 minutes our plane has not arrived. It seems our flight is still sitting on the runway in Philly. We are informed that the plane will be in the air momentarily and should arrive in B'more by 3:30. Then all hell breaks lose. The skies open up and we are told the "ramp" has been closed. The "ramp" we learn is airline lingo for the runway and that means that though are flight did leave Philly it is now stuck circling BWI. Finally around 4:30 the skies clear and the plane lands. Our connecting flight from Philly does not leave until 6:30, so we still have time. Then we find out the "ramp" in Philly is shut down and will not open for at least an hour. At this point, we are being told to call customer service and get our flights rescheduled. I am not even going to try to explain the chaos at the ticket counter as 4 flights are cancelled and 4 flights of angry would-be passengers start an uprising. Luckily, we were able to get an extremely helpful customer service agent on the phone and are rebooked on the same flight out of Philly tomorrow evening. So we tell them to pull our luggage off the plane and head home in defeat. The good news is I get to sleep in my own bed tonight and tomorrow we will DRIVE to Philly and head for Europe. The bad news is when I opened my carry-on to get my purse a huge roach crawled out. Oh yeah, one monster roach had snuck in my bag. I am going to shower now because I think I have been contaminated.

La cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene, porque le falta
Marijuana que fumar.

Ya la murio la cucaracha
Ya la lleven a enterrar
Entre cuatro zopilotes
Y un raton de sacristan.


PS - hopefully when most of you read this I will be on a flight to Europe otherwise I may be in Philly and in need of bail because I might lose it if we miss our flight again.

No comments: